Home > Escape Plans
If You're Trapped and Can't Get Out
- Go into a room - preferably one looking onto a street and shut the door behind you.
- Place blankets, clothing or rugs at the bottom of the door to keep out smoke.
- Shout for help from the window to raise the alarm.
- If the heat and smoke is life-threatening and the fire brigade have not yet arrived, attempt to get out - but only as a last resort.
- Drop bedding out of the window to soften your fall.
- Climb out feet first, lower yourself down before dropping to the ground.
- Do not jump - you will hurt yourself.
Have a Plan
Every household should have some sort of escape plan in place just in case the worst was to happen.
Plan together as a family so everyone knows where to go. Special arrangements may need to be made if anybody in the household has mobility problems.