Home > Smoke Alarms
Test it Tuesday!
Test your smoke alarms every week.
Tuesday is as good a day as any - we call it 'Test it Tuesday'.
Why not set a weekly alarm on your phone to remind you?
Why do we need smoke alarms?
- Fire strikes when you least expect it, often during the night. If you are asleep when a fire starts and you don't have working smoke alarms to wake you, your chance of surviving is virtually zero.
- Fire spreads very quickly - the real killer is the smoke.
- People cannot smell smoke - when you are asleep you lose your ability to smell.
- It only takes 3 or 4 breaths of the toxic fumes to suffocate you and family members.
A smoke alarm is an early warning system which warns you almost as soon as a fire starts and gives you and your family time to alert everyone and to escape safely.
- Smoke alarms should be placed on each level of your home.
- Smoke alarms should be fitted on ceilings.
- Ideally, one in your hallway and one on your landing.
- Test smoke alarms weekly, (Test It Tuesday) even if they are mains powered.
- Smoke alarms should be vacuumed at least twice a year to remove any dust or insects. Replace the battery annually, give it a birthday unless the alarm is fitted with a 10 year sealed battery.